Discovery Center re-opens in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A local landmark that was closed for more than a decade is finally back open.
The Discovery Center in East Central Fresno held a soft-opening on Saturday. It's been closed since 2000 when a fire destroyed the building.
About six years ago, officials decided to refurbish the facility instead of tearing it down. Staff and volunteers were excited to show off the new building and their new approach to the discovery center.
"We're changing up the exhibits from what it was to a more hands-on and kind of science and natural history and maybe even a science arcade -- A place to have a lot of fun," said Gary Pigg, President, Discovery Center.
The museum originally opened back in 1954, and has transitioned over the years into more of an exploratorium. Officials say they expect to hold a grand opening in about two months, but the public is welcome to check out the museum and park anytime.
fresno, fresno central, local
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about