CHP: Big rig found in deadly Traver hit and run
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The big rig believed to have hit and killed a man near Traver has been found.
The accident happened Monday morning along Highway 99 near the Merritt exit north of Traver.
The CHP says the 45-year-old Visalia man was driving a car that was reported stolen and filled with eight people, when it ran into mechanical problems.
Investigators say he tried to pull off to the side of the road and when he got out, he was hit by a passing truck. The impact killed the man and damaged part of the car.
CHP said they found the truck at Kamm and Highway 99 north of Kingsburg. The big rig belonged to CD Matthes, a company located at American and HWY 99. The vehicle was taken in for evidence. Authorities say the driver was interviewed but was not arrested.
Investigators said the car involved was reported stolen out of Hanford on January 13th. They said the car was carrying three adults and six children at the time of the incident. The CHP said a 35-year-old woman who was in the car was the mother of all the children. The children ranged in age from 5 to 14. The mother was not arrested.
The CHP said the driver of the car was the mother's boyfriend and the other adult passenger was the driver's friend.
Investigators said the car had run out of gas in Fresno. They put more gas in the car, and continued south. The CHP is unsure why the car stopped a second time.
traver, visalia, tulare county, hit and run, accident, local
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park 26 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River...
26 min ago
- Toys for Tots marathon weekend 2013-Video 1...
42 min ago
- Toys for Tots marathon weekend 2013-Video 2...
27 min ago