Diocese of Fresno talks about keeping kids safe
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Catholics in the Central Valley are talking about the measures they take so Valley kids stay safe. This after claims that top officials from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles covered up sex crimes in the church.
Retired Cardinal Roger Mahony is the man accused of being at the center of the child sex abuse cover up in his diocese.
Valley catholic leaders are shocked by the news. Church leaders say every volunteer or priest who signs up in the Diocese of Fresno is required to undergo a background check.
At least two adults are also required to be in a room when they are alone with a child.
Sheryl Sarkisian said, "I think we all have an awareness that every person and every child has the especially every child has the right to be protected."
Mahony has issued a statement apologizing for his mistakes, saying he had been "naive" about the lasting impacts of abuse.
Local church leaders are asking anyone who may have been the victim of molestation in the past to come forward.
Victims of child sex abuse hotline: 559-493-2882
sex crimes, local, mariana jacob
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 57 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 42 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt