Diocese of Fresno talks about keeping kids safe
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Catholics in the Central Valley are talking about the measures they take so Valley kids stay safe. This after claims that top officials from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles covered up sex crimes in the church.
Retired Cardinal Roger Mahony is the man accused of being at the center of the child sex abuse cover up in his diocese.
Valley catholic leaders are shocked by the news. Church leaders say every volunteer or priest who signs up in the Diocese of Fresno is required to undergo a background check.
At least two adults are also required to be in a room when they are alone with a child.
Sheryl Sarkisian said, "I think we all have an awareness that every person and every child has the especially every child has the right to be protected."
Mahony has issued a statement apologizing for his mistakes, saying he had been "naive" about the lasting impacts of abuse.
Local church leaders are asking anyone who may have been the victim of molestation in the past to come forward.
Victims of child sex abuse hotline: 559-493-2882
sex crimes, local, mariana jacob
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops 56 min ago
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- HWY 41 opens near Tenaya Lodge after closed due to snow
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall