United Airlines announces new round of job cuts, some of which will occur in Houston
HOUSTON -- United Airlines says it's cutting jobs, two and a half years after United and Continental Airlines merged, sending its headquarters from Houston to Chicago.
The airline won't say how many jobs will be cut here in Houston. A United spokesperson says jobs will be cut across the company's locations.
United Continental Holdings said during a conference call Thursday that it would reduce its workforce by 600 positions. A spokesperson for the Chicago-based airline, which has its largest hub at Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport, confirmed it would reduce its office employees by 6 percent.
The airline would not say which locations would be affected.
United is hoping buyouts and the elimination of open positions will be enough to avoid involuntary layoff. The positions being cut are in management and administration. United added that no union jobs such as pilots and flight attendants will be affected.
The airline says it is trying to keep costs in line with reductions in passengers.
Many of the cuts are expected in Chicago where United is now based.
United employs about 84,000 people worldwide. Layoffs are scheduled to begin in early February.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
united airlines, local, kevin quinn
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 9 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs 55 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
8 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
9 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
16 min ago
- Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to...
56 min ago
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos