Off-duty deputy fatally shoots stabbing suspect at restaurant off North Freeway
HOUSTON -- An off-duty deputy fatally shot a stabbing suspect at a restaurant off the North Freeway overnight.
The chain of events happened just before 12:30 this morning at the Ostioneria Michoacan restaurant off the North Freeway near Airtex. Sheriff's deputies are still on scene, waiting for the medical examiner to arrive.
According to sheriff's deputies, two men had taken their argument into the parking lot when one of the men pulled a gun and fired several shots at the other. That man responded by getting a knife from his car and stabbing the gunman several times.
"When I came over here and saw it, the guy was on the floor. I don't know what happened," said witness Nancy Alvarez.
An off-duty deputy working security next door heard those gunshots and walked outside. He drew his weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the knife, and when he didn't comply, investigators say he fired one shot, which hit the suspect and proved to be fatal.
As for the other man, he was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The name of the sheriff's deputy has not yet been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos