Off-duty deputy fatally shoots stabbing suspect at restaurant off North Freeway
HOUSTON -- An off-duty deputy fatally shot a stabbing suspect at a restaurant off the North Freeway overnight.
The chain of events happened just before 12:30 this morning at the Ostioneria Michoacan restaurant off the North Freeway near Airtex. Sheriff's deputies are still on scene, waiting for the medical examiner to arrive.
According to sheriff's deputies, two men had taken their argument into the parking lot when one of the men pulled a gun and fired several shots at the other. That man responded by getting a knife from his car and stabbing the gunman several times.
"When I came over here and saw it, the guy was on the floor. I don't know what happened," said witness Nancy Alvarez.
An off-duty deputy working security next door heard those gunshots and walked outside. He drew his weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the knife, and when he didn't comply, investigators say he fired one shot, which hit the suspect and proved to be fatal.
As for the other man, he was taken to Ben Taub Hospital in critical but stable condition.
The name of the sheriff's deputy has not yet been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case