Bakersfield 9-year-old girl dies from flu
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health officials say a young Valley girl who died of the flu Thursday had no other health conditions.
The young victim has only been identified as a 9-year-old girl from Bakersfield.
Authorities say she first got sick on Saturday but she was perfectly fine the last day she went to school. However, she did not receive her flu shot.
Public Health Officer Claudia Jonah said, "Flu is not something to take lightly. It's always something to do everything that's available to you to protect yourself and other."
Health officials say the school she attended is being thoroughly disinfected following her death. A letter was sent home to parents in the school district to notify them about what happened.
Grief counseling is being made available to students on Monday.
flu, bakersfield, south valley, local
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos