Bakersfield 9-year-old girl dies from flu
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health officials say a young Valley girl who died of the flu Thursday had no other health conditions.
The young victim has only been identified as a 9-year-old girl from Bakersfield.
Authorities say she first got sick on Saturday but she was perfectly fine the last day she went to school. However, she did not receive her flu shot.
Public Health Officer Claudia Jonah said, "Flu is not something to take lightly. It's always something to do everything that's available to you to protect yourself and other."
Health officials say the school she attended is being thoroughly disinfected following her death. A letter was sent home to parents in the school district to notify them about what happened.
Grief counseling is being made available to students on Monday.
flu, bakersfield, south valley, local
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 3 min ago
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pre-exercise routine
54 min ago