Bakersfield 9-year-old girl dies from flu
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health officials say a young Valley girl who died of the flu Thursday had no other health conditions.
The young victim has only been identified as a 9-year-old girl from Bakersfield.
Authorities say she first got sick on Saturday but she was perfectly fine the last day she went to school. However, she did not receive her flu shot.
Public Health Officer Claudia Jonah said, "Flu is not something to take lightly. It's always something to do everything that's available to you to protect yourself and other."
Health officials say the school she attended is being thoroughly disinfected following her death. A letter was sent home to parents in the school district to notify them about what happened.
Grief counseling is being made available to students on Monday.
flu, bakersfield, south valley, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom 41 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest 29 min ago
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Freeze impacts Valley tropical fruit harvest
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos