Bakersfield 9-year-old girl dies from flu
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health officials say a young Valley girl who died of the flu Thursday had no other health conditions.
The young victim has only been identified as a 9-year-old girl from Bakersfield.
Authorities say she first got sick on Saturday but she was perfectly fine the last day she went to school. However, she did not receive her flu shot.
Public Health Officer Claudia Jonah said, "Flu is not something to take lightly. It's always something to do everything that's available to you to protect yourself and other."
Health officials say the school she attended is being thoroughly disinfected following her death. A letter was sent home to parents in the school district to notify them about what happened.
Grief counseling is being made available to students on Monday.
flu, bakersfield, south valley, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies