Witnesses describe fatal Fresno drive-by shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are investigating the city's latest homicide and are asking the public for help. The shooting happened on Hedges near Recreation in east central Fresno Sunday afternoon.
The victim has been identified as Xia Lee, 56, and the incident marks Fresno's third homicide this year. Police have little information about the gunman and are offering a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest.
"I heard a gunshot. I just opened my door and then boom, boom, boom," said Pao Siong. Siong described the chaotic moments when gunshots were fired into his east central Fresno duplex Sunday afternoon. After hearing the gunfire next door, he said he quickly ran outside and saw a black vehicle drive-off. "I [wasn't] scared at all. I just tried to chase them," recalled Siong.
Siong said he got into his pickup truck and started following the vehicle until a neighbor convinced him it wasn't safe to pursue. Police say the suspects got away.
The drive-by shooting is now being investigated as a homicide. Investigators say 56-year-old Xia Lee was fatally struck while inside her home. Bullet holes were visible through the front door and even on the white Celica parked out front.
Siong had just moved into the duplex less than a month ago and did not know the victim. "It's very scary, I heard like 3 or 4 shots," said Siong.
Police are not sure if the shooting was gang related or if the woman was the intended target.
"it's pretty scary. Really scary actually. It's pretty close to home," said neighbor Nicole Stephens. She said shootings like this happen from time to time in her neighborhood and just hopes the police find the gunman. "For the family and peace and everything, I hope they resolve this fast."
Police are asking anyone with any information on the case to call the Fresno Police Department.
crimetracker, shooting, homicide, fresno east central, fresno, fresno police department, fresno county, local, carlos saucedo
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached 54 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos