Man shot 8 times during altercation in SE Houston
HOUSTON -- A man was shot eight times overnight in southeast Houston and right now, he's still alive, as police are searching for the man who shot him.
The victim, Dion White, 29, survived at least eight gunshot wounds, and is in critical condition. Police now believe they know who shot him and why.
This shooting took place at an abandoned house on Foster Street in southeast Houston just before 11 last night. Detectives say White was driving with two male passengers and one female passenger in his car. Witnesses tell police the group had driven to an abandoned house to meet up with a second group of people when an argument began in the car.
Witnesses say one of the male passengers, believed to be Jeffery Roberston, pulled out a gun, and indicated that he was going to shoot White in retaliation for another shooting incident, possibly one in which the gunman's brother was killed. Everyone in the car jumped out, and White attempted to get away, running from the gunman as he fired at least eight shots hitting white in the chest, legs, chin and several other areas.
"There was an altercation. He was shot and he collapsed here on the side of the road," said Detective C. Cegielski with the Houston Police Department.
White was rushed to Ben Taub Hospital where he is still being treated for multiple injuries.
Witnesses say the gunman ran away, got into a different car and sped off. Neighbors say abandoned homes in this area are a magnet for this kind of crime.
"It's not safe because I have to pay attention and walk through here when I get off the bus at night, and sometimes you never know who is hanging out watching you," said neighbor Helen Nickerson.
Police say thanks to cooperation from witnesses, they have identified Robertson, 34, as the suspect in the case. He's been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 36 min ago
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 33 min ago
- Yonhap: Captain of sunken SKorean ferry arrested 45 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River