Man shot 8 times during altercation in SE Houston
HOUSTON -- A man was shot eight times overnight in southeast Houston and right now, he's still alive, as police are searching for the man who shot him.
The victim, Dion White, 29, survived at least eight gunshot wounds, and is in critical condition. Police now believe they know who shot him and why.
This shooting took place at an abandoned house on Foster Street in southeast Houston just before 11 last night. Detectives say White was driving with two male passengers and one female passenger in his car. Witnesses tell police the group had driven to an abandoned house to meet up with a second group of people when an argument began in the car.
Witnesses say one of the male passengers, believed to be Jeffery Roberston, pulled out a gun, and indicated that he was going to shoot White in retaliation for another shooting incident, possibly one in which the gunman's brother was killed. Everyone in the car jumped out, and White attempted to get away, running from the gunman as he fired at least eight shots hitting white in the chest, legs, chin and several other areas.
"There was an altercation. He was shot and he collapsed here on the side of the road," said Detective C. Cegielski with the Houston Police Department.
White was rushed to Ben Taub Hospital where he is still being treated for multiple injuries.
Witnesses say the gunman ran away, got into a different car and sped off. Neighbors say abandoned homes in this area are a magnet for this kind of crime.
"It's not safe because I have to pay attention and walk through here when I get off the bus at night, and sometimes you never know who is hanging out watching you," said neighbor Helen Nickerson.
Police say thanks to cooperation from witnesses, they have identified Robertson, 34, as the suspect in the case. He's been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies