Group of residents in The Heights preparing for fight as developers try to build apartment complex
HOUSTON -- A group of residents in The Heights is preparing for a fight as developers try to build a brand new apartment complex.
The proposed complex would be built at the northwest corner of Yale and 6th.
This block of land is a combination of a few homes and businesses, but it could soon become a 350-unit apartment complex, and the neighbors are upset.
When Andy Jones and his family moved into their dream home late last year, they never planned on moving out just six months later.
"Six weeks to two months after we moved, we got a call saying they wanted to build a five story apartment complex covering the entire block," Jones said.
He was told that developer Trammell Crow would put a 300-plus-unit apartment complex on this block. The only thing in the way: three homeowners.
"We didn't want to have an apartment complex all around us, so we sold," Jones said. "What are you going to do?"
With properties in hand, the developers asked for a variance so the project can move forward. When the signs went up four weeks ago, nearby homeowner Charles Harrison jumped into action.
"I understand the odds are against us, from our neighborhood standpoint, we don't want anything like what is being proposed," Harrison said.
Dozens of neighbors have gathered, building a website, talking about their traffic and congestion concerns and recruiting others to sign petitions. But the area's council member, Ellen Cohen, is realistic. She says stopping the complex is a long shot.
"City council is in no position to stop development," Cohen said. "We don't have zoning in Houston."
We have tried to call the developer a number of times, but our calls haven't been returned so far. All sides are expected to face off at a planning commission meeting Thursday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
heights, local, miya shay
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County 30 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos