Fresno County man killed in confrontation with Sheriff's deputy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Randall Davis, 51, was fatally shot Monday night by a deputy outside a home in the area of Belmont and Willow.
The Sheriff's Department says it got a call about a man who was acting suicidal. When a deputy arrived at the scene Davis approached him with a box cutter.
Authorities say Davis had already cut himself several times. They also say he rushed the deputy and threatened to kill him.
The deputy said he unsuccessfully tried to fire a shot at Davis and that's when Davis jumped on him. They said another deputy arrived, saw the struggle and shot Davis.
Both deputies are on administrative leave with pay.
Davis has been in trouble with the law in the past. He was convicted of a felony injury in 1996 and got a one-year sentence.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, fresno county sheriff department, officer involved shooting, local
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl