Veteran center in Atwater closing down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Congressman Jim Costa has called for the Department of Defense to reconsider a decision to close a resource center for veterans in the City of Atwater.
Tricare Service Center is located inside the hospital along Hospital Road near Challenger Drive.
The business offers veterans help with questions on disability benefits and other paper work.
The Department of Defense decided to end operations by mid-February because of a transition between service contracts with health care companies.
The move forces veterans to drive 90 miles to Lemoore or 150 miles to Beale Air Force Base to receive in-person assistance.
In the past six months, more than 300 walk-in visitors used the service center, in addition to assistance over the phone.
The medical group at the 144th Fighter Wing in Fresno also uses the facility.
atwater, merced county, jim costa, 144th fighter wing, department of defense, local
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch