Veteran center in Atwater closing down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Congressman Jim Costa has called for the Department of Defense to reconsider a decision to close a resource center for veterans in the City of Atwater.
Tricare Service Center is located inside the hospital along Hospital Road near Challenger Drive.
The business offers veterans help with questions on disability benefits and other paper work.
The Department of Defense decided to end operations by mid-February because of a transition between service contracts with health care companies.
The move forces veterans to drive 90 miles to Lemoore or 150 miles to Beale Air Force Base to receive in-person assistance.
In the past six months, more than 300 walk-in visitors used the service center, in addition to assistance over the phone.
The medical group at the 144th Fighter Wing in Fresno also uses the facility.
atwater, merced county, jim costa, 144th fighter wing, department of defense, local
- Authorities look for missing woman and daughter
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos