Veteran center in Atwater closing down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Congressman Jim Costa has called for the Department of Defense to reconsider a decision to close a resource center for veterans in the City of Atwater.
Tricare Service Center is located inside the hospital along Hospital Road near Challenger Drive.
The business offers veterans help with questions on disability benefits and other paper work.
The Department of Defense decided to end operations by mid-February because of a transition between service contracts with health care companies.
The move forces veterans to drive 90 miles to Lemoore or 150 miles to Beale Air Force Base to receive in-person assistance.
In the past six months, more than 300 walk-in visitors used the service center, in addition to assistance over the phone.
The medical group at the 144th Fighter Wing in Fresno also uses the facility.
atwater, merced county, jim costa, 144th fighter wing, department of defense, local
- Car crash knocks doctor's office off its foundation 27 min ago
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos