Veteran center in Atwater closing down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Congressman Jim Costa has called for the Department of Defense to reconsider a decision to close a resource center for veterans in the City of Atwater.
Tricare Service Center is located inside the hospital along Hospital Road near Challenger Drive.
The business offers veterans help with questions on disability benefits and other paper work.
The Department of Defense decided to end operations by mid-February because of a transition between service contracts with health care companies.
The move forces veterans to drive 90 miles to Lemoore or 150 miles to Beale Air Force Base to receive in-person assistance.
In the past six months, more than 300 walk-in visitors used the service center, in addition to assistance over the phone.
The medical group at the 144th Fighter Wing in Fresno also uses the facility.
atwater, merced county, jim costa, 144th fighter wing, department of defense, local
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing 7 min ago
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel 27 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies 36 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin