Veteran center in Atwater closing down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Congressman Jim Costa has called for the Department of Defense to reconsider a decision to close a resource center for veterans in the City of Atwater.
Tricare Service Center is located inside the hospital along Hospital Road near Challenger Drive.
The business offers veterans help with questions on disability benefits and other paper work.
The Department of Defense decided to end operations by mid-February because of a transition between service contracts with health care companies.
The move forces veterans to drive 90 miles to Lemoore or 150 miles to Beale Air Force Base to receive in-person assistance.
In the past six months, more than 300 walk-in visitors used the service center, in addition to assistance over the phone.
The medical group at the 144th Fighter Wing in Fresno also uses the facility.
atwater, merced county, jim costa, 144th fighter wing, department of defense, local
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 56 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 42 min ago
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week 25 min ago
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals