Central Valley star student receives Smile Scholarship
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A deserving junior high student has been given a gift that will last him a lifetime for his hard work as a star student.
Anthony Santiago didn't know Tuesday morning he had been selected to be given a Smile Scholarship by an international non-profit organization which provides free orthodontic care for underserved exceptional kids.
The Wawona eighth grader was selected because he has grown up with difficult circumstances, but continues to work hard while maintaining good grades.
Santiago says he's wanted braces for a long time! "I will encourage others to try harder in life so they can also get this opportunity like I did. I just want my parents to be proud of me and I feel so excited," said Santiago.
The Fresno/Clovis chapter of Smile for a Lifetime gives out 12 of these scholarships every year.
It's available to children between the ages of 11 and 17, who have GPAs of 2.0 or higher
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, charity, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe