Man arrested in SD in woman's Chicago window fall death
January 31, 2013 (ABERDEEN, S.D.) -- A South Dakota man accused of pushing a woman out of a third-floor window in Chicago is fighting extradition to Illinois to face a murder charge.
Twenty-nine-year-old Daniel Neasom, of Aberdeen, was arrested over the weekend in that city. The American News reports (http://bit.ly/XUOmSM ) he made a court appearance Wednesday and refused to voluntarily be returned to Illinois' Cook County. Neasom told the judge he wanted more time and mentioned the prospect of talking to an attorney.
Authorities will go through the legal process of forcing Neasom to be extradited. That could take as long as a month.
Neasom is accused in the death of Cynthia Barnes on July 23, 2011. Her body was found on a sidewalk and an autopsy concluded she died from injuries suffered in a fall.
The 39-year-old victim was found near 58th and Kedzie.
Police said at the time a 28-year-old man was also hospitalized with injuries suffered when he also fell from a third-floor window.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County 58 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos