Bonds lowered for ex-Schaumburg police officers
January 31, 2013 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) -- Bonds were lowered for the three former Schaumburg police officers accused of stealing drugs and money from drug dealers.
John Cichy appeared to be blinking back tears as he was led into the DuPage County courtroom in his orange jumpsuit. During the hearing, the assistant state's attorney laid out the prosecution's case and said the alleged drug conspiracy was recorded.
"There are conversations between all defendants we captured on the court authorized nonconsensual overhear as well as with our informant," Audrey Anderson, assistant state's attorney, said.
Judge Blanche Hill Fawell lowered Cichy's bond to $250,000, meaning he'll have to pay $25,000 to get out of jail. Upon learning bond would be lowered, Cichy wiped tears from his face.
"He was very relieved that the judge listened to what we had to say," Jay Fuller, attorney, said.
Terrie O'Brien appeared in court next. Prosecutors said he was one of the two main players in the plan.
"I'm shocked by the allegations. I've known him a long time. I'll wait to see if the allegations are true," Robert Irseto, O'Brien's attorney, said. His bond was cut to $300,000, which means he'll need $30,000 to get out of jail.
Prosecutors say Matt Hudak, a 29-year-old father of two, allegedly paid off a drug dealer with his children in the back seat of the car.
"He still brings them to meet the drug dealer, to pay him the $5000 that he stole and he owes our informant. What kind of father is that judge?" Anderson said.
"Mr. Hudak does not seem to be the kind of person who would take his two kids to a drug deal," Thomas Glasgow, Hudak's attorney, said.
Hudak's bond was reduced to $350,000. He'll need to post $35,000 to get out of jail.
local, alan krashesky
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Accuweather Forecast
59 min ago