Woman shot to death, van crashes on LSD at I-55
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Emergency crews responded to calls of a woman fatally shot at the southbound Lake Shore Drive ramp to the Stevenson early Friday morning.
The ramp that winds around McCormick Place was closed during morning rush hour while authorities conducted an investigation. It was unknown when it would reopen.
Responding to a call of a car crash around 4:20 a.m., police found a 32-year-old Michelle Smith shot inside a van in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near I-55. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say 10-14 bullets were fired into the vehicle from a full-sized brown van that pulled alongside the victim's vehicle. Police are talking to an unarmed female passenger who was in the van.A 37-year-old passenger was taken into custody and interviewed by police.
Authorities said that this was a drug and gang related incident and while the shooter or shooters remain at large, the public is not in danger.
Smith's car was registered to a boarded up home in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, where the bridge across the street marks a significant boundary between gangs.
Smith had a relationship with a high-ranking gang member, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said on WLS AM's Roe and Roeper Show.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ravi baichwal
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles 35 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Parlier students get iPad Airs 25 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to...
26 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of...
22 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos