Woman shot to death, van crashes on LSD at I-55
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Emergency crews responded to calls of a woman fatally shot at the southbound Lake Shore Drive ramp to the Stevenson early Friday morning.
The ramp that winds around McCormick Place was closed during morning rush hour while authorities conducted an investigation. It was unknown when it would reopen.
Responding to a call of a car crash around 4:20 a.m., police found a 32-year-old Michelle Smith shot inside a van in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near I-55. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say 10-14 bullets were fired into the vehicle from a full-sized brown van that pulled alongside the victim's vehicle. Police are talking to an unarmed female passenger who was in the van.A 37-year-old passenger was taken into custody and interviewed by police.
Authorities said that this was a drug and gang related incident and while the shooter or shooters remain at large, the public is not in danger.
Smith's car was registered to a boarded up home in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, where the bridge across the street marks a significant boundary between gangs.
Smith had a relationship with a high-ranking gang member, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said on WLS AM's Roe and Roeper Show.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ravi baichwal
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 7 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos