Streeterville high-rise fire contained to 1 unit, CFD says
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- One person was injured during a fire at a Streeterville high-rise building in Chicago on Friday morning.
The fire was contained to one unit on the seventh floor of the building at 230 East Ontario, Chicago Fire Department officials said. That floor was evacuated due to heavy smoke. The transported person was having trouble breathing, officials said. She suffered minor injuries, official said.
The fire broke out around 11 a.m. More than 160 firefighters were called to the scene. They say the building has self-closures that helped keep the smoke and fire from spreading.
"I heard sounds I smelled smoke I called downstairs and heard there was a fire in the building," Marta Cerda, resident, said. "My unit was completely filled with smoke. I was using wet towels to cover my face and was planning to move into the bathroom to escape the smoke."
Jetmir Purballari works at the Ivy Hotel across the street from the burning building. His cell phone video shows flames and heavy black smoke coming out the seventh floor.
Firefighters went floor-by-floor through the 27-story building, which has 144 units.
"As they entered the apartment, the windows failed. That's how the fire got out. You can see it come out the windows, but they had a quick knock-down attack to it," Fire Commissioner Jose Santiago said.
Officials say the high-rise had working smoke detectors and is up to code.
"There is a communication system in this building. This building has all of the life safety recommendations we recommend for all of the high-rises built prior to 1975," Santiago said.
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos