Fresno holds a Gumbo Throw Down
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Mardi Gras is still a week away but some folks just couldn't wait to get in the Cajun spirit.
The Vineyard Farmer's Market hosted its 6th annual Gumbo Throw Down today in Northwest Fresno.
Five market chefs cooked up their best batch of gumbo and served samples to people who stopped by their booths.
Tasters voted for their favorite and a winner was announced in an award ceremony afterwards.
Organizers say the throw down is a great way to try something new. Felix Muzquiz of Vineyards Farmers Market said, "The gumbo is very complex in that it has so many different flavors and textures that are layered in there that it's just always so much fun to enjoy other people's gumbo."
The throw down was complete with Cajun music and Mardi Gras bead and mask sales.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch 6 min ago
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit 24 min ago
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos