Man dies after being hit by train in Tulare Co
TULARE COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The crash happened around 6 a.m. Monday at Avenue 76 and Bishop Drive near Highway 99 between Pixley and Earlimart.
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) said a man was struck and killed on the train tracks while trying to grab his lunch from his vehicle.
Authorities say the man and his brother were on their way to work and became disoriented in the fog. The driver accidentally turned on the train tracks and got his vehicle stuck.
The man and his brother got out of the car, but then the driver turned back to get his lunch. That's when the train struck him.
"The occupants were brothers -- which makes it even more of a tragedy, because one brother obviously saw what happened," said Scott Harris, CHP.
The passenger was not hurt in the crash.
tulare county, pixley, earlimart, local, amanda venegas
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather