Police search for suspects in Good Samaritan death
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are now searching for the suspects in the death of a Good Samaritan.
Police say 33-year-old Robert Briseno was shot and killed in a southwest Fresno neighborhood last night as he tried to prevent a car break-in.
Idal Martinez was one of the last people to see Robert Briseno, known as "Bobby" to his friends - alive.
Martinez said he was a huge 49ers fan and was heading to his mother's house after a Super Bowl party when he saw a man trying to break into her family's 2001 grey BMW. She says he stopped the suspect and ran to their house. "He was like they were breaking into your car," said Martinez.
Martinez then left the house and that's when a light colored car pulled up. "I think they were probably just waiting to get him because as soon as he walked out the guys came back."
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said two or more suspects fired the shots that killed him. "This was an individual who learned his neighbor was having his vehicle broken into and tried to intervene; tried to do the right thing."
Investigators believe both the suspects are gang members. Briseno was taken to Community Regional Medical Center in critical condition where he died of his wounds.
A family member tells Action News he leaves behind two children.
local, mariana jacob
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 10 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos