Police search for suspects in Good Samaritan death
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are now searching for the suspects in the death of a Good Samaritan.
Police say 33-year-old Robert Briseno was shot and killed in a southwest Fresno neighborhood last night as he tried to prevent a car break-in.
Idal Martinez was one of the last people to see Robert Briseno, known as "Bobby" to his friends - alive.
Martinez said he was a huge 49ers fan and was heading to his mother's house after a Super Bowl party when he saw a man trying to break into her family's 2001 grey BMW. She says he stopped the suspect and ran to their house. "He was like they were breaking into your car," said Martinez.
Martinez then left the house and that's when a light colored car pulled up. "I think they were probably just waiting to get him because as soon as he walked out the guys came back."
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said two or more suspects fired the shots that killed him. "This was an individual who learned his neighbor was having his vehicle broken into and tried to intervene; tried to do the right thing."
Investigators believe both the suspects are gang members. Briseno was taken to Community Regional Medical Center in critical condition where he died of his wounds.
A family member tells Action News he leaves behind two children.
local, mariana jacob
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos