Fresno's rugby community is in mourning
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's rugby community is in mourning after a young athlete was killed in a North Valley crash. Maison Eckenrod, 18, was a 2012 graduate of Bullard High School.
Early Monday morning, Eckenrod's SUV hit a guardrail on Highway 99 near Collier Road and overturned. The California Highway Patrol said he died after he ran in front of a big rig as it came across the crash site. The crash is still under investigation. It is unknown if alcohol played a role.
Eckenrod first played rugby at Bullard and was currently playing with the Fresno Rugby Club. His coach, Dan Wilson, told Action News the teen was on his way back to Fresno from Sacramento at the time of the crash, trying to make it to a morning class at Fresno City College. Wilson described Eckenrod as a great athlete. "He was very polite and definitely someone who was looking to learn and was respectful, not just to a person, a man, but also to the game overall. He is someone who had a great future, and we kept telling him that," said Eckenrod.
Eckenrod's death spread through Fresno's rugby community quickly. Rudy Negrete was one of his high school coaches. "Off the field, he was a very quiet, very soft spoken kid, but on the field, he had a lot of potential. He was always giving 100 percent, and as a coach, that's what you want," said Negrete.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno