Fresno's rugby community is in mourning
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's rugby community is in mourning after a young athlete was killed in a North Valley crash. Maison Eckenrod, 18, was a 2012 graduate of Bullard High School.
Early Monday morning, Eckenrod's SUV hit a guardrail on Highway 99 near Collier Road and overturned. The California Highway Patrol said he died after he ran in front of a big rig as it came across the crash site. The crash is still under investigation. It is unknown if alcohol played a role.
Eckenrod first played rugby at Bullard and was currently playing with the Fresno Rugby Club. His coach, Dan Wilson, told Action News the teen was on his way back to Fresno from Sacramento at the time of the crash, trying to make it to a morning class at Fresno City College. Wilson described Eckenrod as a great athlete. "He was very polite and definitely someone who was looking to learn and was respectful, not just to a person, a man, but also to the game overall. He is someone who had a great future, and we kept telling him that," said Eckenrod.
Eckenrod's death spread through Fresno's rugby community quickly. Rudy Negrete was one of his high school coaches. "Off the field, he was a very quiet, very soft spoken kid, but on the field, he had a lot of potential. He was always giving 100 percent, and as a coach, that's what you want," said Negrete.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Calif. man arrested at Canadian border on terrorism charges 1 min ago
- Tulare Police Chief Arrested 54 min ago
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Man with no pants attacks Merced woman, police say 36 min ago
- 3rd person dies from South By Southwest crash
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos