Fresno's rugby community is in mourning
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's rugby community is in mourning after a young athlete was killed in a North Valley crash. Maison Eckenrod, 18, was a 2012 graduate of Bullard High School.
Early Monday morning, Eckenrod's SUV hit a guardrail on Highway 99 near Collier Road and overturned. The California Highway Patrol said he died after he ran in front of a big rig as it came across the crash site. The crash is still under investigation. It is unknown if alcohol played a role.
Eckenrod first played rugby at Bullard and was currently playing with the Fresno Rugby Club. His coach, Dan Wilson, told Action News the teen was on his way back to Fresno from Sacramento at the time of the crash, trying to make it to a morning class at Fresno City College. Wilson described Eckenrod as a great athlete. "He was very polite and definitely someone who was looking to learn and was respectful, not just to a person, a man, but also to the game overall. He is someone who had a great future, and we kept telling him that," said Eckenrod.
Eckenrod's death spread through Fresno's rugby community quickly. Rudy Negrete was one of his high school coaches. "Off the field, he was a very quiet, very soft spoken kid, but on the field, he had a lot of potential. He was always giving 100 percent, and as a coach, that's what you want," said Negrete.
fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos