Police search for Fresno arsonist, 17 displaced
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire at a Central Fresno apartment complex has left nearly 20 people displaced and investigators are looking for the person who they believe is responsible.
The fire broke out around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at a complex on Weldon near Fresno Street. Firefighters say it started in one apartment after a dispute between two men.
Family members of Nouanthong Sayachack said the 78 year old had allowed another man, Siha Phoudamneun, to stay at the apartment for a couple of days. Sayachack told investigators he was trying to help the man but on Wednesday, the suspect attacked him.
"The guy, Siah, accused elder Nouanthong of stealing his belongings and threatened elder Nouanthong, saying, 'If you don't give to me, I'm going to beat you and I'm going to burn your house.' And that's what he did," said family friend Tout Tou Bountahpanya.
In all, five units suffered some kind of damage. The Red Cross is helping those who have been displaced.
SEND DONATIONS TO:
Account name: Nouanthong Sayachack
Account number: 7557392284
Routing number: 121042882
crimetracker, arson, fire, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case 50 min ago
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash 59 min ago
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots 26 min ago
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos