Police search for Fresno arsonist, 17 displaced
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fire at a Central Fresno apartment complex has left nearly 20 people displaced and investigators are looking for the person who they believe is responsible.
The fire broke out around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at a complex on Weldon near Fresno Street. Firefighters say it started in one apartment after a dispute between two men.
Family members of Nouanthong Sayachack said the 78 year old had allowed another man, Siha Phoudamneun, to stay at the apartment for a couple of days. Sayachack told investigators he was trying to help the man but on Wednesday, the suspect attacked him.
"The guy, Siah, accused elder Nouanthong of stealing his belongings and threatened elder Nouanthong, saying, 'If you don't give to me, I'm going to beat you and I'm going to burn your house.' And that's what he did," said family friend Tout Tou Bountahpanya.
In all, five units suffered some kind of damage. The Red Cross is helping those who have been displaced.
SEND DONATIONS TO:
Account name: Nouanthong Sayachack
Account number: 7557392284
Routing number: 121042882
crimetracker, arson, fire, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno