Mistrial declared in Fresno child death case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno County judge has declared a mistrial in a child abuse death case from more than four years ago. The jury in the case involving Benjamin Gomez was deadlocked on both counts.
Gomez is accused of killing his girlfriend's one-year-old daughter. The incident happened back in December 2008, while Gomez was watching 17-month-old Madison Garcia at the East Central Fresno apartment he shared with his girlfriend.
Madison was abused so severely, she died two days later from brain swelling and a fractured skull.
We have a crew at the courthouse, and we'll bring you the latest developments on this mistrial -- on later editions of Action News.
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network 10 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east