Abandoned puppy recovering in new home
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cats may have nine lives, but this dog is getting at least one more chance.
The energetic puppy we saw today, (Thursday) is nothing like the sick, hairless and mite infested pup we met just three weeks ago.
This is how David Delgado, the man who found him tied to a fence described the pup on January 18th.
Delgado said, "It almost looked like he was in a fire or something, open sores everywhere."
But thanks to care received at Abbey Pet Hospital, the dog then nicknamed "Elmo is looking and acting a lot better. His sad story attracted news media and social media attention, and got him a new owner.
Christiane Jeschien told ABC30, "From the time I saw his picture on the Facebook page, we instantly fell in love with him."
Jeschien has given the pup a new home, and a new name: "Dozer," short for bulldoze because, that's how Christiane says he acted when he got to his new home.
His owner Jeschien said, "He ran in the back yard he plowed down our other dog, he was bouncing off of things and biting, having a good time he was like a little bulldozer when he came to our house."
While he appears to be making a fast recovery, Cecillia Wright, of Abbey Pet Hospital says "Dozer" needs continuing care and monitoring.
"His prognosis is guarded," Wright said. "The good news is he's getting bigger and his hair is growing back so he's healing but he has some other issues we're not sure how well he is going to resolve if he's 100 percent out of the woods we can't say that yet."
But things are looking good and "Dozer" has a new family that wants to keep him.
Jeschien added, "We are so, so thankful that we got to adopt him."
animal, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified