FCSO: Farmer runs over dead body with truck
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Sheriff's Office says a strange set of circumstances led to the discovery of 19-year-old Humberto Nunez' body Saturday evening.
Deputies here say Nunez's body was discovered after it was run over by a farm worker tending to citrus trees in the middle of Saturday night's freeze warning. They soon discovered Nunez died before being hit by the truck.
Nunez was known to his family and friends as "Jr." A neighbor tells Action News he did not see anything suspicious.
Fresno County Sheriff's Homicide Detectives worked late into the night Saturday evening searching for evidence in the orchard.
Fresno County Sheriff Lt. Mark Padilla said, "There were workers working in a citrus field there, in terms of the freeze, they were driving through the citrus grow and they ran over him. But we do not believe that was the cause of death at this point."
Investigators say Nunez was last seen on F Street in Reedley just an hour and a half before his body was discovered.
Deputies urge anyone who knows who Nunez left this area with last night to step forward.
"No arrests, no suspects at this time. But we are definitely asking for the public's help," Padilla said.
Authorities say it's still too early in the investigation to know whether Nunez's murder is gang-related. An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow to determine Nunez's exact cause of death.
Deputies say those findings may point them in the direction of the killer.
local, rick montanez
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos