Details about a man shot and killed by Visalia police
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Visalia police released new details about Friday's officer-involved shooting which left a man dead.
Officers say Santibanez was defiant and refused to comply with officer's demands. Investigators are looking into whether he may have fired a return round at officers.
Mestas says Santibanez had a lengthy criminal history for selling drugs. He was also facing a rape charge.
"Our officer shot five times at the suspect believing that at any time of the revving of this engine that was continual that the car was going to prevent him from living or other citizens," Mestas said.
Juan Colon, who was the neighbor said, "Besides the fact that he a different car like every couple week she had a different new car not just any car but you know besides that nothing"
Visalia police say Santibanez was driving a white BMW, which was rented from Hertz in Downtown Visalia.
Officers say even though he didn't have a driver's license, they believe Santibanez drove different cars while he was dealing drugs.
crimetracker, shooting, officer involved shooting, visalia, tulare county, tulare, goshen, local, jessica peres
- Feds look to protect frogs, toad in Sierra Nevada
- Native American remains found during fishing trip
- 18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Valley kids get a new perspective on water
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos