Two men are dead after their cars collided in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The morning commute turned tragic for two men after their cars collided in Fresno County, and one burst into flames. The crash happened just before 6:00 Wednesday morning on Willow near Friant.
The California Highway Patrol identified one of those men as 54-year-old Samuel Deprima of Fresno. There is no word yet on the identity of the second man who died.
Two crumbled and burned out vehicles are all that remain after two men lost their lives this morning.
Lawrence Gale with the California Highway Patrol explained, "Two cars were involved in a head-on collision out here on Willow just south of Friant. It appears there was one northbound car, one southbound car and one crossed over the double-yellow lines.
California Highway Patrol Sgt. Lawrence Gale says it's unknown what driver caused the crash. Emergency responders spent most of the morning trying to piece together exactly what happened.
Neighbor Bill Nelson says he heard it all. "A big explosion and I'd seen a fire of this vehicle that was burned up."
Nelson says not only could he hear the crash, but the impact rattled his house, sending him outside.
"I seen a couple of guys that tried to help. The passenger in that burned out vehicle, they couldn't get him out," Nelson said. "They said he was screaming, trying to get out and had his seat belt on and couldn't get him out."
The man died in his jeep before firefighters could rescue him from the vehicle.
The other driver was also trapped inside his vehicle. Firefighters were able to pull him out, but he died at the scene. Neighbors say they've seen many serious car accidents in the area.
"It's like a death trap, so we just turn right," Nelson said. "We've almost been hit, pulling out going to the south, people just drive too fast and come up on you."
Investigators are not sure if speed or distracted driving played a role in the crash.
Nearby residents are calling the collision a tragic accident. They hoping others will slow down and pay attention when passing through on this dangerous stretch of roadway.
fresno county, fresno northeast, clovis, accident, local, amanda venegas
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos