Two men are dead after their cars collided in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The morning commute turned tragic for two men after their cars collided in Fresno County, and one burst into flames. The crash happened just before 6:00 Wednesday morning on Willow near Friant.
The California Highway Patrol identified one of those men as 54-year-old Samuel Deprima of Fresno. There is no word yet on the identity of the second man who died.
Two crumbled and burned out vehicles are all that remain after two men lost their lives this morning.
Lawrence Gale with the California Highway Patrol explained, "Two cars were involved in a head-on collision out here on Willow just south of Friant. It appears there was one northbound car, one southbound car and one crossed over the double-yellow lines.
California Highway Patrol Sgt. Lawrence Gale says it's unknown what driver caused the crash. Emergency responders spent most of the morning trying to piece together exactly what happened.
Neighbor Bill Nelson says he heard it all. "A big explosion and I'd seen a fire of this vehicle that was burned up."
Nelson says not only could he hear the crash, but the impact rattled his house, sending him outside.
"I seen a couple of guys that tried to help. The passenger in that burned out vehicle, they couldn't get him out," Nelson said. "They said he was screaming, trying to get out and had his seat belt on and couldn't get him out."
The man died in his jeep before firefighters could rescue him from the vehicle.
The other driver was also trapped inside his vehicle. Firefighters were able to pull him out, but he died at the scene. Neighbors say they've seen many serious car accidents in the area.
"It's like a death trap, so we just turn right," Nelson said. "We've almost been hit, pulling out going to the south, people just drive too fast and come up on you."
Investigators are not sure if speed or distracted driving played a role in the crash.
Nearby residents are calling the collision a tragic accident. They hoping others will slow down and pay attention when passing through on this dangerous stretch of roadway.
fresno county, fresno northeast, clovis, accident, local, amanda venegas
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 35 min ago
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman