Convicted rapist Spencer Scarber arrested in Mexico
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County sheriff's detectives have arrested convicted rapist Spencer Scarber two months after he fled the country in the middle of his rape trial.
Action News broke the story in December when Scarber's father -- assistant CHP chief Kyle Scarber -- reported his son missing on the day Spencer was supposed to testify in his own defense. But detectives determined the disappearance had been staged.
A camera at the Mexican border caught an image of a family car crossing the border into Mexico just after 3 a.m. that same morning.
Spencer's mother and sister used their passports to cross back into the U.S. on foot just before 5 a.m.
Detectives say Spencer Scarber was using an alias when he was arrested in the Acapulco area. Sheriff's deputies have also arrested Kyle Scarber and his wife, Gail, for helping their son escape justice.
Stay tuned to ABC30 and abc30.com for updates on this story.
mexico, squaw valley, fresno county, sex crimes, local, corin hoggard
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy