Spencer Scarber's arrest ends 2 month long manhunt
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The 20-year-old convicted rapist was convicted in absence after his disappearance on December 12, 2012.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims announced the arrest of Spencer Scarber, who fled the United States prior to the end of his criminal trial. Scarber was arrested in Mexico earlier this week.
Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, they also arrested Saturday in connection with Scarber's disappearance were his father, 49-year-old Sheldon Kyle Scarber, his mother, 51-year-old Gail Lynne Scarber of Squaw Valley, and his sister, 33-year-old Crystal Diane Reynoso, of Fresno.
Thursday, Sheriff's detectives developed information that Spencer Scarber had been detained in Acapulco, Mexico. Detectives contacted the Mexican authorities and learned that Scarber was in fact in custody for having false identification, and using a false name.
Arrangements were made to have Scarber returned to the United States and, with the assistance of the US Marshalls Task Force in Fresno and San Diego, Scarber arrived in Los Angeles early Saturday where he was turned over to Fresno Sheriff's detectives.
Scarber was then transported to Fresno where he was booked in to the jail on the felony warrant.
Saturday morning at 10 a.m., detectives served a search warrant at the Scarber home on George Smith Road in Squaw Valley. During the service of the search warrant, Sheldon "Kyle" Scarber and his wife, Gail was both arrested.
Fresno County Sheriff's Office said Gail Scarber was booked on charges of conspiracy and being an accessory, and possessing false documents. Kyle Scarber was arrested on charges of conspiracy and being an accessory, and filing a false police report. He has not been booked in to the jail as he was transported to Community Regional Medical Center for medical reasons.
At 12:30 p.m., Reynoso was arrested at a residence located in the 4500 block of E. Rialto Avenue, also on charges of conspiracy and being an accessory, said the Sheriff's Department.
Fresno County Sheriff's Office says A fifth subject, Ryan Kasko of Fresno, was also arrested at the Rialto address on an unrelated felony domestic violence warrants.
fresno, fresno county, local
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos