CHP investigate deadly hit and run near Shaver Lake
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- California Highway Patrol officers are investigating a hit and run crash that left one person dead near Shaver Lake.
The victim's body was found at 3 a.m. on Highway 168 near Bretz Mill Road.
Just a few miles from the scene, police arrested a 20-year-old driver, Morgan Brown, who was under the influence.
CHP officers spent Sunday afternoon clearing the accident from Brown's vehicle that crashed after it went down the embankment on Highway 168 near Littlefield Road.
Authorities are now working to see if that driver was also involved in the hit and run near Bretz Mill Road.
CHP Officer Joseph Bianchi said, "That occupant was arrested for driving under the influence."
Steve Champ was delivering newspapers in the area of Bretz Mill Road and Highway 168 at 3 a.m. when he came across the victim's body.
Champ said, "A body was lying in the road, on his back. Not sure if his body was moving or not. I'm thinking when I first showed up; I thought I saw some movement with his head. And that's why I was so urgent to get on 911."
Authorities say they found Brown's vehicle just three miles from where the hit and run accident happened. They also said they were looking into Brown's accident as a possible connection but it wasn't confirmed that Brown was the person who hit the victim.
Authorities have not released the identity of the victim. A witness described the person as a male in his 30s.
shaver lake, hit and run, local, carlos saucedo
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 53 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
52 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos