CHP investigate deadly hit and run near Shaver Lake
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- California Highway Patrol officers are investigating a hit and run crash that left one person dead near Shaver Lake.
The victim's body was found at 3 a.m. on Highway 168 near Bretz Mill Road.
Just a few miles from the scene, police arrested a 20-year-old driver, Morgan Brown, who was under the influence.
CHP officers spent Sunday afternoon clearing the accident from Brown's vehicle that crashed after it went down the embankment on Highway 168 near Littlefield Road.
Authorities are now working to see if that driver was also involved in the hit and run near Bretz Mill Road.
CHP Officer Joseph Bianchi said, "That occupant was arrested for driving under the influence."
Steve Champ was delivering newspapers in the area of Bretz Mill Road and Highway 168 at 3 a.m. when he came across the victim's body.
Champ said, "A body was lying in the road, on his back. Not sure if his body was moving or not. I'm thinking when I first showed up; I thought I saw some movement with his head. And that's why I was so urgent to get on 911."
Authorities say they found Brown's vehicle just three miles from where the hit and run accident happened. They also said they were looking into Brown's accident as a possible connection but it wasn't confirmed that Brown was the person who hit the victim.
Authorities have not released the identity of the victim. A witness described the person as a male in his 30s.
shaver lake, hit and run, local, carlos saucedo
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals