Homeless man charged with manslaughter
HOUSTON -- Charges have been filed against a suspect arrested in a man's death one week ago, Houston police announced Wednesday.
Armando Vasquez-Martinez, 56, is charged with manslaughter for his alleged role in the death of 51-year-old Antonio Salazar.
Salazar's body was discovered just before 10pm February 13 in the 1600 block of Elysian.
According to police, Vasquez-Martinez and Salazar got into an argument outside an abandoned house where the suspect was living. Officials said Vasquez-Martinez may have initially been defending himself, but he's accused of beating Salazar with a baseball bat.
Vasquez-Martinez allegedly chased Salazar into the street and continued beating him with the bats. The suspect then left Salazar lying in the street, police said.
Moments later, a car hit Salazar. He died at the scene.
Police said Vasquez-Martinez was arrested without incident the following day and subsequently charged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?