Student detained in shooting outside Prairie View A&M University
HOUSTON -- Prairie View A&M University officials say a gunman remains on the loose following a shooting that took place just outside the university campus Thursday afternoon.
The shooting happened around 4:45pm at the intersection of University Drive and Echols, which is in front of the university's main gate, but just outside of the campus, Prairie View A&M University Spokeswoman Sheleah Reed said.
Eyewitnesses say the shooting followed a brief chase. Bullets struck a nearby church but no one there was hurt.
Police have two people in custody, including a Prairie View student, but we still don't know their connection with the shooting. The shooter fled the scene and was last seen heading toward Highway 290.
The shooting victim, who was not a student, was transported via medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, Reed said.
When the shooting first happened, the Waller County Sheriff's Office told Eyewitness News it happened on campus, but university officials quickly issued a clarification.
In a statement, the university said, "There is no imminent danger for students residing on the University main campus or in the nearby area."
Authorities with the Waller County Police Department, Prairie View A&M University and DPS were all on the scene, but we're told the Prairie View Police Department is handling the investigation.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals