Jeep plows into busy Merced grocery store
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A vehicle plowed into a North Valley Market on Thursday evening during busy business hours -- and luckily no one inside was injured.
The accident happened around 6:30 on G and 20th Streets in Merced. Investigators say the driver of a black Jeep lost control and struck 2 vehicles in the parking lot before slamming into the Save-More Market.
Customers on the other side were startled as the vehicle plowed in -- taking down several store shelves.
"There was a lot of lucky people tonight. six-thirty -- Grocery store, there's a lot of people in there and there was excessive damage to the structure inside and no injuries," said Jim Evans, Merced Fire Department.
The driver of the Jeep did sustain minor injuries and was taken to Mercy Medical Center in Merced. Investigators don't know if the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Building inspectors will be out Friday morning to assess the damage.
merced, merced county, accident, local
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos