Jeep plows into busy Merced grocery store
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A vehicle plowed into a North Valley Market on Thursday evening during busy business hours -- and luckily no one inside was injured.
The accident happened around 6:30 on G and 20th Streets in Merced. Investigators say the driver of a black Jeep lost control and struck 2 vehicles in the parking lot before slamming into the Save-More Market.
Customers on the other side were startled as the vehicle plowed in -- taking down several store shelves.
"There was a lot of lucky people tonight. six-thirty -- Grocery store, there's a lot of people in there and there was excessive damage to the structure inside and no injuries," said Jim Evans, Merced Fire Department.
The driver of the Jeep did sustain minor injuries and was taken to Mercy Medical Center in Merced. Investigators don't know if the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Building inspectors will be out Friday morning to assess the damage.
merced, merced county, accident, local
- USC routs No. 21 Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl 5 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos