Growing support for undocumented workers seeking citizenship
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A new Field Poll released Friday showed California voters overwhelmingly support citizenship for undocumented workers.
Provided undocumented workers have a job, learn English and pay back taxes.
90 percent of the voters polled were in favor of citizenship for illegal immigrants. The number is up seven percent from 2007.
Every year some 230,000 undocumented workers come to the central valley to work the fields and orchards.
Immigration reform has long been a priority for Manuel Cunha of the Nisei Farmers League. Cunha said, "About the last month we've seen a different attitude about this."
Cunha is encouraged by the growing support for citizenship for undocumented workers. He explained, "I've never seen it from the standpoint of the polls, the standpoint of now republicans realizing they have to deal with it and the president saying I want it on my desk."
The Field poll also showed 76 percent of voters support a guest worker program.
Fresno State political science professor Ken Hansen said, "It doesn't surprise me that public opinion is shifting in a more pragmatic way to try to deal with these issues."
But Hansen says while public opinion may be changing, it will be much tougher for politicians to actually develop a guest worker program. He said, "Immigration is one of those problems that have been allowed to fester for far too long."
Cunha said policy changes are essential to help California deal with a labor shortage. "The businesses that can't get people to do the jobs so they lose market share. They have to shut down half a day. Not just ag but hotels and restaurants."
The Field Poll also showed, for first time, the majority of voters were in favor of allowing undocumented workers to get California drivers' licenses.
52 percent approved while 43 percent were against the idea.
local, dale yurong
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- American teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...