FPD honors employees at award ceremony
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Police Department held its 29th Annual Officer and Employee of the Year awards Friday.
Officer Eden Cerda was one of the 14 people honored at a banquet in North Fresno. Each of the honorees was nominated by peers and chosen by a committee. The awards recognize officers, employees and volunteers who go above and beyond when doing their job, and helping out in the community.
Organizers say it gives the public a look at a different side of the police department.
Roz Clark of the Fresno Neighborhood Watch Association said, "They're in our community, they work in our community and they also help out in our community. And this is the way we recognize those people."
The event started nearly three decades ago with just one officer being honored, but in recent years the awards have been expanded to recognize officers in each district along with civilian employees and volunteers.
fresno, fresno county, fresno police department, local
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- FSU women's basketball headed to NCAA tournament
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- Fresno kidnap, sex assault suspect changes plea