Tower: From neighborhood watch to business watch
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Business owners in Fresno's tower district are fighting back against crime.
Dozens of business owners are working to start the Tower district business network.' The store owners say they want the tower to continue to be a safe place to shop and eat. A recent burglary at "Fame Boutique" has prompted the owners to band together quickly to create the safety group.
Sandy Rodriguez of the Fame Boutique said "I lost, you know, a lot of expensive bags that were in the window. Clothes, jewelry."
Linda Whisenant of Free Bird said, "As a group of businesses we want to be ready, be prepared and be able to look out for each other in a proactive manor so that whatever may come our way we are ready to handle."
Roughly 120 small businesses operate in the tower district. Right now the 'business watch' group is still organizing.
They're working with Fresno Police to train shop owners on various situations they may encounter.
fresno, fresno county, local
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police 41 min ago
- Authorities are investigating a homicide in Fresno County
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years