Inmate escapes while getting medical treatment
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A federal inmate is still missing after disappearing around 10:30 Monday morning.
Fresno County officials are working with federal marshals and several other law enforcement agencies, hoping to find the inmate who planned a perfect escape.
Thanousone Volarat, 32, is facing a possible term of life in prison stemming from a 2011 arrest for cultivating and distributing more than 1000 marijuana plants.
He took off while getting treated at a health center on Dakota near Blackstone. Deputies say he's a regular at that facility and knows it well.
Two correctional officers brought him to the clinic for a procedure. Investigators say he asked to use the bathroom and was allowed to be alone. He then unlocked a door in the bathroom that led to a hallway, which led to an exit. Once outside, he jumped into a red Honda where a woman driver was waiting.
Authorities tell Action News, they're looking at the way inmates are handled when they leave the jail for any reason.
Gregg Collins, with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "We're gonna look at this, were gonna review what happened and determine how to prevent it from happening in the future."
Volarat was handcuffed, shackled and wearing a red jumpsuit. He's considered armed and dangers. If you see him, investigators say call 911 instead of confronting him.
WANTED: Thanousone Volaret, 32 yr, Asian man, 5'7, 180, black hair, brown eyes. Shackled, cuffed, red jumpsuit.
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos