Inmate escapes while getting medical treatment
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A federal inmate is still missing after disappearing around 10:30 Monday morning.
Fresno County officials are working with federal marshals and several other law enforcement agencies, hoping to find the inmate who planned a perfect escape.
Thanousone Volarat, 32, is facing a possible term of life in prison stemming from a 2011 arrest for cultivating and distributing more than 1000 marijuana plants.
He took off while getting treated at a health center on Dakota near Blackstone. Deputies say he's a regular at that facility and knows it well.
Two correctional officers brought him to the clinic for a procedure. Investigators say he asked to use the bathroom and was allowed to be alone. He then unlocked a door in the bathroom that led to a hallway, which led to an exit. Once outside, he jumped into a red Honda where a woman driver was waiting.
Authorities tell Action News, they're looking at the way inmates are handled when they leave the jail for any reason.
Gregg Collins, with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "We're gonna look at this, were gonna review what happened and determine how to prevent it from happening in the future."
Volarat was handcuffed, shackled and wearing a red jumpsuit. He's considered armed and dangers. If you see him, investigators say call 911 instead of confronting him.
WANTED: Thanousone Volaret, 32 yr, Asian man, 5'7, 180, black hair, brown eyes. Shackled, cuffed, red jumpsuit.
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno 47 min ago
- I-5 over the Grapevine and HWY 58 now open
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary 10 min ago
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- History of snow in Fresno and Porterville 40 min ago
- Madera man accused of murder faces unique circumstances
- Good Sports: Coach Mark Rogers
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time