Clovis gun range gets time to reduce noise level
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Clovis business owner will have more time to reduce the noise level coming from an indoor gun range after the members of the Clovis Planning Commission declined to make any immediate changes to the business' conditional use permit.
The Firing Line is located at Dayton and Sunnyside in Clovis and backs up to a residential neighborhood. People who live in the area told commissioners the constant sound of gunfire is ruining the "Clovis Way of Life." Monday night, about 30 residents addressed members of the commission in an effort to bring peace back to their neighborhood. "It is not about guns, it is about the noise. It is about the fact that is gunshot noise," said Lori Weaver-Hill, a property owner in the neighborhood.
Members of the gun range also packed the council chambers, wearing matching green shirts to show their support. The owner said he already jumped through hoops in order to open the business and he is still willing to come up with ways to reduce the sound levels coming from the gun range. He disputes some of the claims made by neighbors, who told commissioners they hear gunfire early in the morning and late at night, affecting their sleep. "We are open from 10 a.m. To 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. We have a very strict set of rules when it comes to shooting," said Jacob Belemjian.
Members of the Clovis Planning Commission could have revoked or modified the The Firing Line's permit Monday but instead decided to continue the issue. It will now go back in front of Clovis City Council March 18.
local, amanda perez
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno 9 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Accuweather Forecast
51 min ago
- Police are investigating a deadly shooting...
19 min ago