A little Fresno girl is recovering after being shot twice
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An 8-year-old child was rushed to the emergency room overnight, after she was shot inside a home in Central Fresno.
The shooting happened around 3:30 Thursday morning on Fourth near White -- in the area where Highway 41 and Highway 180 intersect.
The little girl was recovering from surgery late Thursday morning. She is reportedly in stable condition. Investigators say girl's injuries do not appear to be life threatening, but say they will affect her quality of life for many years to come.
Fresno Police are still looking for the shooter, or shooters, in the case. Police said the shooting was gang related, but no suspects have been identified.
Authorities say an unoccupied black Honda was targeted in the shooting. The car window was shot out and a lot of bullets struck the car. The house was also hit several times, and the family rushed to help the 8-year-old girl who was hit by two bullets -- one in the arm and the other in the stomach -- while she was asleep on the couch.
Officers were called out to the home after the spray of gunfire woke many neighbors.
"It looks like some cars, at least one car, came down the street, fired many shots at the residents," said Lt. Joe Gomez, Fresno Police Department, "Several family members were inside the house. The little girl was sleeping on the couch -- 8-year-old, and was hit a bullet in the upper torso area."
Investigators have interviewing neighbors and collecting clues. They are also looking to see if the shooting was captured on any surveillance cameras in the area.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this Developing Story.
crimetracker, shooting, gang, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno