Big-rigs have safer conditions with new Fresno business
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A new Fresno business aimed at improving security for truckers will hold its grand opening Friday.
Truckers moving food and freight along Highway 99 are required to rest after a 12 hour work period. They often fill up at places like Klein's Truck Stop where people can look out for each other. But sometimes they're in much more isolated areas where thieves are waiting.
Harpreet Singh had his big rig broken into while napping at a small truck stop.
Singh said, "I have inspection of my truck. Go back on the trailer somebody broke my seal. Then i open the door they had stolen boxes from the cheese load."
DTL Transport has opened a new semi-truck parking facility at Golden State near Ashlan Avenues.
Jazz Sidhu calls it is the first of its kind in California.
Sidhu of DTL Transport said, "What it does is give you an opportunity to securely park your truck off the streets so it's not vandalized or broken into."
An access card allows entry inside the gate as well as the bathrooms. The facility is equipped with surveillance cameras which are monitored by an on-site security officer.
152 spaces are available. Singh says 75 spots have already been taken at a cost of between 199 and 250 dollars a month.
"If you go to a spot like a normal truck parking spot which is not secured and nobody is watching it's going to run you 25 dollars a day. That adds up quick,"Sidhu said.
DTL Transport saw a business opportunity two years ago when the City Of Fresno started cracking down on truckers parking their big rigs on the side of the road and in neighborhoods. Those who get caught are fined $250.
fresno, fresno county, local, dale yurong
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos