Jack Varela found not guilty of murdering brother-in-law
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A jury has come to a verdict in the case of a Fresno man who shot and killed his brother-in-law during a family fight.
Jack Varela had claimed the 2012 killing was in self-defense. On Friday, the jury agreed and came back with a verdict of not-guilty. The jury also cleared Varela of second degree murder charges and manslaughter charges.
The shooting happened after the men became involved in a fight over a dent in one of Varela's vehicles.
Danny Cabrera, 40, was shot once in the chest. Varela claims he fired the shot in self-defense. Cabrera was married to Varela's sister. ------
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this breaking news.
fresno, fresno county, shooting, court, local, sontaya rose
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 54 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos