Jack Varela found not guilty of murdering brother-in-law
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A jury has come to a verdict in the case of a Fresno man who shot and killed his brother-in-law during a family fight.
Jack Varela had claimed the 2012 killing was in self-defense. On Friday, the jury agreed and came back with a verdict of not-guilty. The jury also cleared Varela of second degree murder charges and manslaughter charges.
The shooting happened after the men became involved in a fight over a dent in one of Varela's vehicles.
Danny Cabrera, 40, was shot once in the chest. Varela claims he fired the shot in self-defense. Cabrera was married to Varela's sister. ------
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this breaking news.
fresno, fresno county, shooting, court, local, sontaya rose
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run 16 min ago
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos