Jack Varela found not guilty of murdering brother-in-law
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A jury has come to a verdict in the case of a Fresno man who shot and killed his brother-in-law during a family fight.
Jack Varela had claimed the 2012 killing was in self-defense. On Friday, the jury agreed and came back with a verdict of not-guilty. The jury also cleared Varela of second degree murder charges and manslaughter charges.
The shooting happened after the men became involved in a fight over a dent in one of Varela's vehicles.
Danny Cabrera, 40, was shot once in the chest. Varela claims he fired the shot in self-defense. Cabrera was married to Varela's sister. ------
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this breaking news.
fresno, fresno county, shooting, court, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions 14 min ago
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7