FPD searches for shooter of 8-year-old victim
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A $2,000 reward is being offered to help find the person who shot and critically injured an eight-year-old girl in Central Fresno.
Ahlia Cha is in intensive care following the shooting. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said she has been awake and alert, but she is heavily medicated. Ahlia was shot twice during a drive-by shooting early Thursday morning.
At a news conference Friday Ahlia's family put their emotions on display, pleading with the public for help in finding the suspect or suspects that shot her.
"The last time I took a look and my niece she was a healthy little young girl," said Kacey Cha, Ahlia's aunt. "It's hard to see her in the condition that's she's in."
Fresno police said Ahlia was asleep in the living room of her home when the shooting began. "This was a tragedy that didn't have to happen," Chief Dyer said. "And it demonstrates clearly that gang violence has no boundaries."
Dyer said more than two dozen shots were fired toward the house, more specifically at the cars parked out front. The vehicle that had the most rounds belonged to Ahlia's older brother," he said. "We believe that is the vehicle that was originally targeted as well as the residence."
His detectives have already served several search warrants and conducted probation searches. In total, Dyer said, they have contacted more than one hundred homes since the shooting.
"This could have very well been retaliation for some type of past incident," Dyer said.
Ahlia's mother, Xiong Yang, was too emotional to speak at the news conference. But, the family expressed gratitude for the intense investigation. Anybody who has information, we encourage, and we hope and pray that you feel our pain and that you will come forward with that information," Cha said.
Ahlia will face lasting physical and emotional injuries from the shooting. Chief Dyer said this is the first Southeast Asian gang shooting this year. There could be more than one suspect in the case. And when they're arrested, Dyer said, they will face attempted murder charges.
local, rick montanez
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Don't wait until the New Year to get fit
59 min ago