Counselors on hand after death of Fresno teacher
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Counselors helped grieving staff members and students at Sunnyside High School Wednesday, following the sudden death of a teacher. Jim Healy, 55, died Tuesday morning in a cycling accident near Auberry Road, north of Copper.
Healy taught technology at the Southeast Fresno campus, where administrators and teachers described him as a positive person who always had a smile on his face. "He taught a technology class, a couple of classes. But everyone on our campus knows and loves Jim Healy because he was always there to help," said principal Tim Liles.
In addition to teaching, Healy also assisted staff members with their technology needs. "With Jim, he would see all of us. He would be in and out of classes; he would be training us, so every staff member here is affected by his loss. This is a big loss for us," said history teacher Tony Fiori.
As Sunnyside students and staff grieve, the cycling community is also coming together to honor Healy. The group "Fresno Bike Party" is planning a Saturday morning memorial ride. It's being organized by a former Sunnyside student who wants to show Healy's family support during this difficult time.
fresno county, fresno, local, amanda perez
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network 9 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east