Firefighter cadet Donald Mize dies after collapsing during training in League City
LEAGUE CITY, TX -- A firefighter cadet is dead after collapsing during training in League City.
Donald Mize collapsed after a routine training session on Wednesday at about 8 pm at the League City Drill Field on South Kansas Street.
Mize, 62, was treated at the scene, then transported to Clear Lake Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
Mize began training as a League City Volunteer Fire Department cadet last month. He was also a retired teacher who taught at Clear Creek Independent School District's Clear View Education Center. Mize was very active in the community and a member of the League City Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association.
"This is a very tragic loss for the family, the City and the entire community. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mize family and the League City Volunteer Fire Department, " said Mayor Tim Paulissen.
The City of League City staff and elected officials will be wearing red and black ribbons in honor of Mize, and city flags have been lowered to half-staff. So far, no funeral arrangements have been set.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
league city, local
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1 22 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos