Fatal wreck causes five-hour closure of 610 North at Jensen
HOUSTON -- A fatal accident forced crews to close all eastbound lanes of I-610 North Loop at Jensen during rush hour Thursday.
Around 3:20pm Thursday, a van traveling eastbound rear-ended an 18-wheeler that had slowed due to brake failure. A male victim from the van was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Soon after, authorities closed three main lanes and one shoulder, and traffic quickly had backed up to Shepherd.
Then an hour later, crews were forced to shut down the entire highway to clean up the aftermath. All lanes were shut down for five and a half hours, turning the afternoon commute into a nightmare for commuters in the area.
The scene finally was cleared around 9:45pm.
The 24-year-old victim's identity has not been released. The 18-wheeler driver was not injured. ___________________________________________________________
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge 8 min ago
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District