Fatal wreck causes five-hour closure of 610 North at Jensen
HOUSTON -- A fatal accident forced crews to close all eastbound lanes of I-610 North Loop at Jensen during rush hour Thursday.
Around 3:20pm Thursday, a van traveling eastbound rear-ended an 18-wheeler that had slowed due to brake failure. A male victim from the van was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Soon after, authorities closed three main lanes and one shoulder, and traffic quickly had backed up to Shepherd.
Then an hour later, crews were forced to shut down the entire highway to clean up the aftermath. All lanes were shut down for five and a half hours, turning the afternoon commute into a nightmare for commuters in the area.
The scene finally was cleared around 9:45pm.
The 24-year-old victim's identity has not been released. The 18-wheeler driver was not injured. ___________________________________________________________
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove 45 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses