Fatal wreck causes five-hour closure of 610 North at Jensen
HOUSTON -- A fatal accident forced crews to close all eastbound lanes of I-610 North Loop at Jensen during rush hour Thursday.
Around 3:20pm Thursday, a van traveling eastbound rear-ended an 18-wheeler that had slowed due to brake failure. A male victim from the van was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Soon after, authorities closed three main lanes and one shoulder, and traffic quickly had backed up to Shepherd.
Then an hour later, crews were forced to shut down the entire highway to clean up the aftermath. All lanes were shut down for five and a half hours, turning the afternoon commute into a nightmare for commuters in the area.
The scene finally was cleared around 9:45pm.
The 24-year-old victim's identity has not been released. The 18-wheeler driver was not injured. ___________________________________________________________
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years