HEAT team has new tools to fight auto theft
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The "Help Eliminate Auto Theft" task force or "HEAT" has a new tool in the fight against car thieves.
Officers with the California Highway Patrol say a new program prevents auto theft suspects from being released from jail due to overcrowding.
Officers arrested Anthony Lozano in Downtown Fresno on Thursday afternoon. His recent rap sheet states he's wanted on four different warrants, for chop shops and stealing cars.
The "HEAT" team had arrested him back in October of 2011. He was a large conspirator in the theft of a 1971 Chevelle, valued at 75,000 and found in a garage full of car parts in Fresno County.
Sergeant Lenny Sherman said, "So in our world for vehicle theft he was a pretty good criminal, we have several cases that were open and under investigation."
Sherman says the "HEAT" team arrested him just this week. When officers went back to file more charges against him, they realized he was already out of jail; released because of overcrowding. "They saw Mr. Lozano walking down the street-he's had numerous contacts with Fresno "HEAT" so he cooperated with officers."
Sherman says this time around, Lozano will be part of a new program. A certain amount of room in the Fresno County jail is reserved, dedicated to the suspects the "HEAT" team puts behind bars. There's a limited number of spaces, and suspects usually stay there until they're sentenced. But- as soon as someone goes off to prison, there's another bed- another space, for another offender. In this case. That person was Anthony Lozano. "This prevents this person from being released from overcrowding- we're offsetting funds for his stay because of the problems of vehicle theft."
Sherman says the person he replaced inside the jail was just sentenced to 10 years in prison. He also says, they've got a dedicated prosecutor in the District Attorney's office, who is following up with these types of cases and putting repeat offenders in prison.
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, local, stephanie stone
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession 12 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station 30 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos