China Peak benefiting from late-season snow
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- They're hoping for a miracle March up at China Peak. A late-season snowfall could help keep the mountain resort open through April.
The resort received about a foot of snow within the last couple of days. There's only been a few good snowfalls this winter which is why this really could be the "miracle" of the season.
From the boarder's perspective, this recent bout of fresh snow created epic conditions.
When he's not on china peak, Nick Wong works as a grocery store manager in the South Valley.
But the late season snowfall was too good to pass up, and even work wasn't going to stand in his way..
"It almost feels like floating on a cloud. You don't get that anywhere else," Wong said.
Using a helmet camera, he captured his friends, his ride and the downslope view.
"Going down a steep descent, jumping off random rocks here and there," Wong said.
Mountain Operations Director Rich Bailey says this new snow couldn't come at a better time.
"Miracle March would just be you get a bunch of snow storms and we call that a miracle," Bailey said.
He says there's only been a few good snowfalls this winter, which means lately they've had to back fill the real snow with machine-created powder.
"We're supplementing mother nature, it's been a kind of semi-less-than-stellar snow year," Bailey said.
But he says the month of March stepped in, just like it's been doing for the past few years, bringing snow just when they need it most. He's hoping it'll stay cold, ensuring that fresh snow will stay powder perfect through April.
Because the conditions are expected to be this good throughout the weekend, the Inn at China Peak is already booked.
fresno county, china peak, local, stephanie stone
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 11 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos