China Peak benefiting from late-season snow
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- They're hoping for a miracle March up at China Peak. A late-season snowfall could help keep the mountain resort open through April.
The resort received about a foot of snow within the last couple of days. There's only been a few good snowfalls this winter which is why this really could be the "miracle" of the season.
From the boarder's perspective, this recent bout of fresh snow created epic conditions.
When he's not on china peak, Nick Wong works as a grocery store manager in the South Valley.
But the late season snowfall was too good to pass up, and even work wasn't going to stand in his way..
"It almost feels like floating on a cloud. You don't get that anywhere else," Wong said.
Using a helmet camera, he captured his friends, his ride and the downslope view.
"Going down a steep descent, jumping off random rocks here and there," Wong said.
Mountain Operations Director Rich Bailey says this new snow couldn't come at a better time.
"Miracle March would just be you get a bunch of snow storms and we call that a miracle," Bailey said.
He says there's only been a few good snowfalls this winter, which means lately they've had to back fill the real snow with machine-created powder.
"We're supplementing mother nature, it's been a kind of semi-less-than-stellar snow year," Bailey said.
But he says the month of March stepped in, just like it's been doing for the past few years, bringing snow just when they need it most. He's hoping it'll stay cold, ensuring that fresh snow will stay powder perfect through April.
Because the conditions are expected to be this good throughout the weekend, the Inn at China Peak is already booked.
fresno county, china peak, local, stephanie stone
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 5 min ago
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Accuweather Forecast
52 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Nelson...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos